Chronology

YearSummary
1540Pope Paul III gives sanction for the formation of the Society of Jesus under Ignatius of Loyola
1542Pope Paul III gives sanction for the formation of the Society of Jesus under Ignatius of Loyola
1662Establishment of Missions Etrangeres de Paris (MEP) by Mgr. Pallu, Mgr. Lambert de La Motte and Ignace Cotolendi
1771Establishment of MEP Seminary at Arikamedu near Pondicherry
1773The Jesuits are suppressed by Pope Clement XIV
1776Pope Louis VI entrusts Pondicherry Mission to the MEP
1776Pope hands over Jesuit missions of Carnatic (including Bangalore) to MEP
1831State Administration shifted from Mysore to Bangalore
1834Residency set up at Bangalore
1841Foundation of St. Patrick’s Church laid. Completed in 1844
1846First Seminary set up at Bangalore by Bishop Charbonaux. It is later to become St. Joseph’s Seminary and then St. Joseph’s School
1851Original St. Francis Xavier Church built on St. John’s Hill by Fr. Chevalier
1854Good Shepherd Nuns arrive in Bangalore. Seminarians give up their house for them and move to St. John’s Hill adjoining St. Francis Xavier Church
1858First European boarders arrive. Opening of the School. Fr. Clemot is the first head of the School
1859Fr. Clemot transferred. Fr. Jean Coadou takes his place
1864Original school building erected, Local government contributed Rs 4000
1865New house built at St. John’s Hill at a cost of Rs 16,000
1865Bishop Cotton School established by Rev. Samuel Pettigrew, Chaplain of St. Mark’s
1872Two rooms built at the Mission at a cost of Rs 450, one later used as a classroom
1876Separate building costing Rs 2,500 erected for accommodation for the Religious
1879Jesuits arrive in Karnataka
1879Baldwin School founded by Bishop William Fitzjames Oldham
1881Rendition. All lands forming Civil and Military Station of Bangalore given to the British in exchange for the fort of Srirangapattinam. The Civil and Military station comes directly under the rule of Queen of England and Empress of India
1882Fr. Vissac appointed Rector at age 34 and first Principal
1882St. Joseph’s affiliated to the Madras University as a Second Grade College. The Seminary thus became St Joseph’s College
1882Intermediate classes started
1884First Graduates in Arts – Fr. Mascarenhas and Mr. O’Sullivan
1892Society of the Brothers of Immaculate Conception founded by Bishop Kleiner to help MEP Fathers
1894Corner Stone of House for Brothers of Immaculate Conception laid
1894Foundation Stone for College at Museum Road laid
1894Fr. Froger and Fr. Schmitt, two of the youngest members of staff, proceed to England for higher studies
1895First two Brothers of Immaculate Conception join the Staff
1895The Sodality of Immaculate Conception for senior boys started by Fr. Blaise
1896The Sodality of Sacred Heart of Jesus established by Fr. B. Cholet
1898The College shifts to Museum Road
1898Great plague in Bangalore, lasts until 1899. More than 3,000 died. Strength
1901Fr. Blaise convenes first meeting of O.B.A. It existed more on paper until 1919
1902Fr. Vissac hands over mantle to Fr. Froger
1903Fr. Froger takes over as Rector from 23 Oct
1904Indian High School becomes separate entity
1905Bangalore electrified with power from Cauvery
1908‘New Fields’ acquired. It is later used to house St. Joseph’s Indian High School
1908Widdy’s tuck shop opens
1909Intermediate Arts replaces the old First Arts. St. Joseph’s becomes a High School
1909Scout Troop raised at Bangalore by Capt. Baker. It is the first in Asia and includes boys from St. Joseph’s College
19102nd Bangalore Scout Troop of St. Joseph’s raised on 12 Mar
1910Literary and Debating Society started
1910First School Annual
1910Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel join the school
1911O.B.A. reconstituted. President, Treasurer, Secretary & three Councillors elected
1911Foundation stone laid for boarding, dining hall & dormitory. Dining Hall inaugurated
1912First Meeting of O.B.A. Reconstituted held on 1912. Seven Old Boys present, O.B.A. Committee elected
1913Demise of Fr. Vissac
1914Fr.Schmitt’s commences as Rector
1915Fr. Schmitt’s Rectorship ends in September, he had to flee to France, being of German origin. Fr.Froger returns as Principal
1915The College Hall built, with the upper floor used as Small Dormitory
19152nd Lt. T.B. Lawrence awarded Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry on Sept 25th 1915
1916Demise of Fr.Froger. Fr. Vanpeene takes over as Principal
1917Indian Volunteer Force replaced by Indian Defence Force
1917David Reuben becomes first Indian Civil Service (ICS)
1918Boys between 12 and 16 years attached to 6th Bangalore, Coorg and Mysore Battalion
1919Old Boys Association revived by Fr.Cyril Brown and Mr.W.J.Fernandez
1920232 boarders and 203 day scholars make a total of 435 students – perhaps the largest European institution in India
1920Indian Defence Force replaced by Indian Auxiliary Force
1921School War Memorial unveiled on 21st November
1923Scout Troop reconstituted on 21st July. Extension of Cricket Field bought from Bangalore Brewery for Rs 3,000/-
1923Cinema Lantern installed in St.Joseph’s. First movie screened is ‘A Trip around the World’ in eight parts. Fr.Collart made the slides
1923Intermediate classes, started in 1882, shifted to the top floor of Indian High School. Fr.Argaut appointed first Principal of Second Grade College
1923Science Group opened for Junior Intermediate
1923School and College become separate entities
1923Foundation Stone for New College laid
1923670 copies of Blue and White printed
1924Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel leave School for Yercaud
1924The time gun is fired for last time on 8 Feb 1924 and stopped thereafter because of retrenchment. It is fired a couple of minutes after the Kirk Clock struck 12
1925College Building (Degree) built by Fr. Accoutier completed
1925Bangalore War Memorial unveiled on 13th July. It has the names of fallen Josephites
1926Cricket Pavilion inaugurated at New Fields
1926St. Josephs becomes a first Grade college. B.A. Classes commence in July
1928Rev. Fr. Prouvost introduces First lady teachers – May Andrews, Gerty Dias, Mona Pugh and Doris Perkins
1928College Chapel roof changed from temporary tin sheet roof to tiled roof
1928Rev. Fr. Henri Prouvost, Principal (1926-1931) instrumental in getting House system introduced for the first time – St.Georges, St. Andrews, St.Patricks & St.Davids. Names are that of patron saints of England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales.
1930Three canons of Canons Regular of St Maurice’s Abbey from Switzerland arrive in anticipation of taking over St. Joseph’s from MEP
1930H. Dorai qualifies as an ICS officer
1932Ralph Stracey becomes the third Josephite to join the ICS
1932Boys of fourth standard and below start wearing sailor suit uniforms
1934House songs arranged by Mr.Davenport
1936Swimming Pool inaugurated. It is the second in Bangalore
1936First Blue and White Ball held on 5th September at Baccalas Summer Garden (Near Kaveri Emporium)
1937Swimming included as part of regular curriculum
1937Jesuits take over school from MEP
1937Fr. Leo Proserpio is first Jesuit School Principal. He takes over from Fr.Collart. He leaves in December as Bishop of Calicut
1937The Students Missionary League first introduced into School by Fr. Cortellini
1938Old Boy Pat Sweeney selected to represent India in 100m and 200m at Western Asiatic Games at Palestine. Games cancelled due to political disturbances
1939Demise of Fr. St. Germain at Bangalore
1940Fr. Ghilardi forced to give up Principal’s post being an Italian. Hands over to Swiss Fr.Studerus
1942Memorial Tablet erected in affectionate memory of Fr. St.Germain and Fathers of Paris Foreign Mission by Old Boys at entrance of School
1942Knights of Blessed Sacrament introduced at St. Joseph’s by Fr.McDonnell
1943First article in Urdu on Blue & White written by Mohammed Azmathullah Khan
1943Fr.Studerus hands over mantle to Fr. E.J. Jacques, the first Indian Principal
1945Demise of Bishop Proserpio
1947Fr Ghilardi departs for Argentina
1948Matron for small boys employed
1949Hindi introduced into School
1950Commerce Section of College started
1951First OBA Christmas Dinner on 15 December
1952David Reuben appointed Chief Justice of Patna High Court
1952Fr. Jos A.B.Coelho transferred to Mangalore, Fr Biscaro takes over
1958President Rajendra Prasad visits School for Centenary Celebrations on 15 August
1958NCC Unit inaugurated in November
1958Chapter of the OBA established at Kerala
1960New block being created for infirmary near the kitchen
1963ICSE introduced
1963Demise of Fr. Leo Vanpeene
1965Desmond Hayde awarded Maha Vir Chakra in Indo-Pak War
1965Leadership Training Service (LTS) started in School by Fr.Wirth
1965Parent Teacher Association started
1967St. Joseph’s European High School becomes St. Joseph’s Boys’ High School
1968Evening College Commences, bifurcation into Science and Humanities from Class IX
1969Sodality changes its name to Christian Living Communities
1969AISSC abolished
1972Fr. Hedwig da Costa becomes Principal. He is the first Old Boy to do so
1972Two Year PUC System introduced
1973Fr. Hilario Fernandes is first Old Boy to become acting Rector
1974ISC system of 11th Standard is abolished
1980For the first time School Year commences in month of June
1983Kannada offered as Second Language to boys entering in Std IV
1983Strength of School reaches 1000 mark
1984Kannada became the only regional language, i.e. second Language
1984Mr.Joseph Andrade becomes first lay Vice Principal
1986Computer classes start for the first time
1987Boarding, a tradition as old as School, shut down on 10th April
1992Demise of Bill Fernandez at age of 102
1993OBA Inter House Debating Competition held for first time
1996First batch is set up for SSLC examinations (later discontinued)
1998Cyber Centre inaugurated
2001Foundation Stone for new school laid on 5th April by Shri. S.M. Krishna, Chief Minister of Karnataka
2001Entire West Wing of Old School demolished for reconstruction
2002West Wing of School inaugurated by Mrs.Margaret Alva, M.P. on 01 August
2003East Wing of School inaugurated by Sabeer Bhatia on 27th December
2004Introduction of Standards I to IV
2005ISC reintroduced for first time since 1974
2006Administrative block of new building occupied
2006Entire School Building inaugurated on 12th November by Rev. Fr. Peter Hans-Kolvenbach, General of Society of Jesus
2007Girls are admitted to Classes XI and XII for the first time
2008Sesquicentennial Celebrations of the School are held
2010Chapters of the OBA established at Coorg and Goa
2011Chapter of the OBA established at Dubai
2013Chapter of the OBA established at Mangalore
2018Centenary Celebrations of the OBA are held
2019Chapter of the OBA established at North India